Wednesday, February 11, 2015

The End of a Decade

(The following post was written in the past, and never posted because our computer has been on the fritz and therefore my posts are naked of pictures. I'm giving up and posting everything anyway. So, sorry the the nakedness!!!!)

The second decade of my life officially ended, and boy oh boy was it a good one!
  • I enjoyed my first alcoholic beverage without breaking the law......with many more to follow.
  • I embarked on my journey as a Registered Nurse, and even traveled as one for a whole year, just like I'd always dreamed of doing.
  • I learned how to play the guitar and wrote my first song (who knew it'd be the fist of many?).
  • I found the love of my life and married him.
  • I got to play in an ocean other than the Gulf for the first time......on more than one occasion!
  • Patrick and I bought and sold our first home.
  • I ran a couple of half marathons, an accomplishment I never thought my janky knees would allow.
  • I survived my first backpacking trip in the mountains, rode my bike to the Pacific ocean (from home) several times, learned how to use public transportation, camped in a tent, and enjoyed countless hikes......all with my best friend with benefits by my side. 
  • I went to a jillion amazing concerts. 
  • I grew and gave birth to the most beautiful baby in the world.
  • I'm sure there's more that I just can't remember....hence the reason I try to write about my life for the lines blur too much!
It's going to be difficult, but I shall now set forth to make my third decade even better..........I'll just have to get creative.
In the mean time, we spent an entire week celebrating. Every day, Patrick surprised me by planting a thoughtful card in different places of the house where he knew I'd stumble upon it, which always put a giant grin on my face. As if that wasn't special enough treatment, I came home from work in the morning to him making me a hot breakfast, just what the doctor ordered after a long shift. He cooked me steak/eggs over easy/hashbrowns one night for dinner, and he risked facing the wrath of keeping Dillon up past his bedtime in order to bring Corner Bakery (one of my favorite work time treats that he's been surprising me with for years) to my work one night. On Saturday he sacrificed going to the Baylor homecoming game festivities to arrange for us a day of fun, riding Segways in downtown Dallas (because we enjoyed it so much last year), while my Mom and Memma watched Dillon (a.k.a. tickled him for 2 days straight), slaved away in the kitchen to make me homemade sushi for dinner, and on my actual birthday he amazingly managed to gather my friends for a jubilee at Cheesecake Factory!
Since the actual day fell on the end of daylight savings time, we (everyone at the table, because we are all new at this parenting thing) learned a new vital life lesson. Even though gaining an extra hour feels like a national holiday, small children's bodies still cling to their established circadian rhythm.......meaning you, as a parent, will NOT actually get an extra hour of sleep as you have in the past, and when the next evening comes to a reality, you may know it's only 6:00 pm, but your baby still thinks it's 7:00 pm (and time for bed), therefore going out to eat for dinner at 5:30 pm with a large group of people in a noisy restaurant might not be as great of an idea as you originally thought. Live and learn. 
Our table was absolute pure chaos, but one of fellowship and love and joy........and the cutest little boys in the city.
Now.....to unwind from all the wonderful celebrating, I have a massage and pedicure to redeem with a couple of new scarfs to keep my neck warm on the way there, some suckers to keep my sweet tooth occupied, a little herbal scented lotion to keep my hands in tip-top condition, and caffeine credit to help me stay awake long enough to enjoy it all!  Oh yes....and it won't be long before I'm breaking in my new steamer and Ninja to make baby-food. 
I am blessed. 

 

KpLoving It Copyright © 2011 -- Template created by O Pregador -- Powered by Blogger